UW Recycling has an opening for a part-time student Waste Diversion Assistant. This position could begin as early as January 2, 2019. This is a great opportunity for a qualified, dedicated student interested in environmental issues (primarily recycling and composting education and general sustainability topics).
Student Assistant Position: Waste Diversion Assistant
Start Date: On or after January 2, 2019
Hours/Times: 15 - 19.5 hours/week
The Waste Diversion Coordinator will work with UW Recycling staff to develop outreach initiatives and educational campaigns, implement waste infrastructure, assist in creating communication materials and strategies to educate and engage the UW community in our waste reduction efforts. A primary focus will be identifying areas of improvement for existing waste diversion initiatives as well as assisting in developing and disseminating information relevant to programs we promote. Your efforts will help us reach our goal of 70% waste diversion by 2020!
- Assist in building waste assessments and implementing service improvements to ensure UW complies with City of Seattle ordinances that ban recyclables and compostables from the landfill.
- Respond to customer inquiries from students, faculty and staff related to recycling, infrastructure requests and departmental program information.
- Assemble, label and prepare recycling and waste containers for installation.
- Develop a student-focused recycling education program highlighting UW waste diversion initiatives. Integrate videos, events, website and social media into the program.
- Serve as UW Recycling liaison with student environmental groups on campus to ensure waste diversion education is part of their programming and events.
- Research and write content promoting waste diversion initiatives for newsletters and blogs.
- Assist the UW Recycling team in preparing for and participating in several student-focused, outreach events, including Dawg Daze, RecycleMania, Earth Day, America Recycles Day, FIUTS, etc.
- Participate in the creative concept planning and design of improved marketing and public education materials for several recycling programs. (i.e., posters, flyers, brochures and other promotional materials.)
- Assist in other projects as needed.
- Proficiency or willingness to learn Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize time accordingly.
- Ability to work independently and on a wide variety of tasks simultaneously.
- A strong interest in waste reduction, waste diversion, or sustainability.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Previous experience working in an office environment is a plus.