UW Sustainability has an opening for a part-time Green Certification Coordinator. This is a 12-19 hour per week position for an enrolled UW student, starting Fall 2019. Full details below. To apply, go to Handshake and search for position 2786073.
The University of Washington's Green Certification Programs seek to reduce the University's environmental impact by inspiring and supporting sustainable efforts by students, faculty, and staff. The programs help UW's offices, labs, and official student groups on all three campuses, Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell:
- Gauge how sustainably they are currently operating
- Identify specific ways they can operate more sustainably
- Gain recognition for the good work they are already doing
The programs accomplish this by providing an evaluation framework and resources that offices, labs, and student groups can use to operate more sustainably. In doing so, they support the goals laid out in UW's Climate Action Plan.
The Green Certification Coordinator provides resources and guidance for labs and offices on campus to implement sustainable practices, including a certification program to recognize labs and offices that decrease the University’s environmental impact in alignment with the UW Environmental Policy statement and the Climate Action Plan goals. Through this internship, the Green Office Coordinator will operate the existing Green Lab and Green Office programs, and update and improve it as necessary.
The Green Office Coordinator will:
- Gain hands-on experience in project management, program development, collaboration, communications, marketing, and development of evaluative and educational materials with guidance/mentoring from the Program Supervisor.
- Learn how to effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders and navigate the complex structure of the University.
- Learn how to incentivize sustainable behavior.
- Learn more about sustainability at the University through knowledge discovery.
- Process applications to the Green Certification programs, awarding certifications and providing feedback in a timely manner
- Politely and promptly respond to feedback and questions from Green Certification program participants, university staff and faculty, and members of the general public
- Write quarterly digital Green Certification newsletters
- Work collaboratively with UW Sustainability staff on outreach, developing Green Certification program materials, and strategic planning
- Collect and analyze tri-campus certification data and produce summary reports
- Periodically update and evaluate information on the Green Certifications website
Internship Outcomes and Metrics:
- Consult with offices at UW to recognize and enhance existing sustainability practices, providing advice, sharing best practices, and creating tools and resources as needed.
- Evaluate certification program effectiveness and identify areas for program improvement.
- Use multiple marketing methods to communicate the program to offices across campus and encourage them to apply.
- Achieve reductions in energy use, water use, greenhouse gas emissions, paper use and waste generation from UW offices.
- Measurable metrics: Number of labs and offices applying for and achieving certification.
- Passion for and commitment to environmental learning.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize time accordingly.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Adaptability and willingness to learn new skills as necessary.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with: Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or other computer programs also a plus.
- Previous experience working in an office environment and on sustainability initiatives is a plus.
About UW Sustainability
The University of Washington’s Sustainability Office (UW Sustainability) is a central source for information and resources regarding sustainability practices and programs at the University of Washington. Through its programs, events, and tools, UWS fosters sustainability-minded relationships and involvement within the UW community and beyond. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. We are located in Gerberding Hall Room B40.
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. The UW Sustainability office values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, while striving to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access and opportunity for all. The UW Sustainability office encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply.