Harborview Medical Center's renovated central intersection called the Landing with "Tree of Life" ceiling inspired by nature, geometry of traditional quilts, traditional stained glass artwork, and science. Image credit: Greenhealth Magazine
In the summer of 2015, the UW Environmental Stewardship Committee (ESC) chose four projects to focus on as a committee during the 2015-2016 academic year. One of the projects is the Greening Health Sciences Initiative that will research current efforts in the area of environmental stewardship in UW Health Sciences, as well as identify opportunities and coordinate efforts going forward. The initiative will look at both academics and medical center operations.
For inquiries or more information on the UW Greening Health Sciences Initiative, contact Sean Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preliminary Subcommittee Membership
- Howard Frumkin (Chair )- Dean, School of Public Health; Professor, Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences
- Heather Burpee - Research Assistant Professor, Architecture; Health Design Specialist, UW Integrated Design Lab
- Bob Ennes - (Interim Co-chair), Director, Finance & Administration, Health Sciences Administration
- Barbara Fromm - Assistant Administrator, Clinical Support Services & Planning, Harborview Medical Center
- Jeremy Hess - (Interim Co-chair), Associate Professor, Internal Medicine & Occupational & Environmental Sciences; Co-director, Center for Health & the Global Environment (CHANGE)
- Liz McNamara - Assistant Administrator, Patient Care Services, Harborview Medical Center
- Sean Schmidt - Assistant Director, UW Sustainability
- Ed Smith - Director, UW School of Medicine Department of Radiology
- Jennifer Zumsteg - Physician, UW Medicine; Acting Assistant Professor, UW Rehabilitation Medicine
- July 2015 | ESC Subcommittee "Greening Health Sciences Initiative" establshed
- November 2015 | Written summary of initial committee composition, mission, vision, scope strategy, and next steps provided to ESC
- January 2016 | Environmental Studies capstone students begin project to survey people, projects, and resources across UW Health Sciences
- Februrary 2016 | Initiative update presented to ESC
- March 2016 | ENVIR 480 "Sustainability Studio" course focuses on Greening Health Sciences Initiative. Multiple reports to be completed.
- April 2016 | Environmental Studies capstone students complete project "Greening UW Health Sciences"
- June 2016 | ESC Subcommittee meeting
- May 2016 | Harborview, UW Medical Center recognized with Practice Greenhealth Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award
- October 2015 | Harborview, UW Medical Center named on 50 of the Greenest Hospitals in America list by Becker's Hospital Review
- April 2016. Bucy, J., Power, J., Vogt, J. UW Environmental Studies Capstone: Greening UW Health Sciences.
UW Students, Faculty, Staff in the News
Cohen, R. 2016. The US healthcare sector emits more greenhouse gas than the entire UK. Business Insider.