The Washington Higher Education Sustainability Coalition (WAHESC) invites you to learn about cutting edge sustainability initiatives on campuses around Washington State in this first ever state-wide broadcast. The purpose of this event is to inspire, engage, and connect our regional higher education institutions during Earth Week. The broadcast on April 20th from 4:00pm-5:00pm will feature eight short presentations from staff and student sustainability advocates representing these projects:
- “Campus Bottled Water Bans; Beyond Excuses”: Chrissy Cooley from the Pierce Co. Conservation District presents the concept of a state-wide bottled water ban for higher educatin
- “Real Food Challenge”: Emily Dunn-Wilder and Jesse Honiker from Evergreen State College present on bringing local, organic, fair-trade and humanely-raised food to their campus.
- “Native Lands Restoration”: Christian Rusby and Josh Meyers from North Seattle College present on reclaiming areas on campus overrun with invasive species to foster a healthy ecosystem and sustainable campus.
- “Campus as Living Laboratory”: Nick Lorax from Pacific Lutheran University presents on PLU’s collaboration between Facilities Management, the Sustainability Office, and Environmental Studies to design curriculum that utilizes the campus as a living laboratory.
- Low-Cost, High Impact Conservation Campaigns”: Carol Berry from Western Washington University presents on Western’s low-cost, high impact conservation campaigns that promote community-wide participation.
- “Sustainability Through Food Justice”: Renee Maschi from University of Puget Sound presents on tackling the problem of food waste and hunger through food salvage and community gardens.
- “Washington Business Climate Declaration”: Claudia Frere-Anderson from University of Washington presents on UW’s role in the Washington Business Climate Declaration and potential for Washington State higher education institutions.
- “Green Labs”: Aubrey Batchelor from University of Washington presents on the opportunities for labs to be more green and UW’s experience thus far with the green labs initiative.
The presentation will be broadcast across 12 campuses across the state!
- University of Washington: Ocean Sciences Building, Room 203
- Gonzaga University: College Hall, Room 101
- Eastern Washington University: Patterson Hall, Room 128
- Tacoma Community College: Building 15, Room 203
- Whitworth University: Weyerhaeuser Hall, Room 205
- Portland State University: Market Center Building, Room 316
- Shoreline Community College: Pagoda Union Building, Quiet Dining Room 9208
- Edmonds Community College: Snoqualmie Hall, Room 202
- Northwest Indian College: School Cafeteria
- Bellingham Technical College: TBA contact Dave Jungkuntz at DJungkuntz@btc.ctc.edu
- Grays Harbor College: TBA contact Jim Sorensen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- WSU Spokane: TBA contact Norene Phillips at email@example.com
Don’t miss this opportunity to get great ideas for your campus! If you are interested in broadcasting this event at your location please email <Rachael.Morris@wwu.edu> to receive a link to the event.
Facebook: Washington Higher Education Coalition
Sean Notes are blog posts by UWS Sustainability Assistant Director, Sean Schmidt that feature news, information, and resources that connect the dots in what Sean calls "full spectrum sustainability" (economic, social, and environmental aspects of sustainability).